At Asha-Kiran Shelters Foundation, our main focus is public advocacy, which we regard as a planned and organized set of actions launched to effectively influence public policies and to get them implemented in a way that will empower marginalized sections it can be termed as people-centered advocacy because it
- Counteracts unequal power relations at every level – from personal to public, from family to governance.
- Bridges micro-level activism and macro-level policy initiatives.
- Engages institutions of governance to empower the marginalized.
- Strategizes the use of knowledge, skills and opportunities to influence public policies.
- Creates and uses niches within the system to change it.
We particularly focus on the abolishment of Child Labour, which “deprives children of their childhood, their potential and their dignity, and is harmful to their physical and mental development” (International Labour Organization). To this end, Asha-Kiran Shelters Foundation is a key ally of ACTION FOR THE RIGHTS OF CHILD (ARC), a city-based network of around 35 NGO’s working for child rights in Pune.