Granting autonomy and dignity to India’s vulnerable children means actively promoting the empowerment of their communities. Therefore, our Community Development Project aims to enhance the opportunities, the freedom of choice and the quality of life of the people who live in the slums of Pune.
We work with children, teens and adults by providing training, education, health care, capacity building activities and other empowerment tools.
Our Community Center is a 3-story building located in one of the slums of Pune. It functions as headquarters for the different community groups to meet and benefit from our activities.
The activities we carry out include
- Support classes and IT tutorials
- Early childhood care and development
- School enrollment and academic support
- Vocational training
- Business start-ups for women
- Health care
- Information and legal aid
- Self-help group for wives or mothers of addicts
- Adult literacy and education
Directly and indirectly, approximately 2000 people benefit from the Community Development Project.
Our aims are to
- Inspire people in slum communities to work towards a better life.
- Promote school enrolment and the parents’ commitment to their children’s education especially the girls’.
- Develop local resources to improve the socioeconomic conditions of the communities.
- Encourage the feeling of community living.
- Support self-reliance and self-initiative.